Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Rain Rain Go Away..And Take The Smell With You

Today the shopping gods struck down on me. After work I decided to do a little shopping before heading home. Just after leaving the second store heading towards the third, I was caught in a torrential downpour. I may exaggerate a lot, but this is no exaggeration. It was raining like the world was going to end. My cute suede flats were quickly drenched, causing blisters. The shopping bags I was already carrying were getting wet, and my entire back was drenched. I was forced to end my spending early. Oh well, at least my dad will be happy.

After the rain ended and the sun tried to come back out, it started to smell like garbage. Then, I looked down to assess the damage of my once cream colored flats. They had black gunk all over them.

When it rains in June at home, it smells like summer. When it rained today, it smelled like a bar at 3 am. When it rains at home, it washes away all the grime. When it rains in NYC, it turns the grime into slush.

This got me thinking about the little things I miss about the south. So here is a little list I compiled on my 3 block walk from the subway to my room.

1. My bed. In regards to my last post, I miss having my very own bed. If there was a way for my parents to mail me my bed, memory foam topper and all, I would be forever grateful. I'm serious; I would do just about anything.

2. Chick Fil A. You should have seen this coming. I miss waking up at 10:15 and racing to Chick Fil A for a biscuit before even taking the time to change out of my pajamas. I miss eating Chick Fil A at least 3 times a week with all my friends. I miss Tim, the manager, remembering I like 3 Chick Fil A sauces and not just 2.

3. Cheese Dip. I'm starting to notice a trend in this list. Sleep and food. But seriously, where is the cheese  dip in this town? My southern friends and I have been on the hunt for a mexican restaurant that actually has normal, white, cheese dip. So far, nothing. All the mexican restaurants are either Tex Mex or only have guacamole. I swear guac is the new trend here. It is everywhere! Guacamole must be the new sushi. It's the new hip food. But I don't want to be hip. I want cheese dip. I can't wait to eat nothing but La Parilla and Chick fil A upon my arrival in Georgia.

4. Manners. In all fairness, I knew this was part of the package when I decided to come to New York. But seriously, what is so difficult about saying "Excuse me" or "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bulldoze over you." Just the other day I bumped into someone and out of habit I quickly apologized (even though it wasn't my fault). The man looked at me like I was a mental person. He looked at me as if he has never heard the words before. Maybe he hadn't. I like to just  pretend he didn't speak English. Then, only minutes after that incident, I bumped into a woman on the street. This time it was my fault. Again, I quickly apologized and said "excuse me." She looked up at me with the biggest smile I think I have ever seen. She was so grateful that I actually acknowledged our incident. Now I understand why my parents were always so intent on us growing up learning the importance of politeness.

5. Southern Accents. I don't have much to say about this one, other than the fact that I think a southern accent is beautiful. There is just something about the New York accent that doesn't sound right to my ears. I would rather hear "y'all" over "yous guys" any day.

6. Fresh Air. This is one of those things I have taken advantage of my entire life. I miss stepping outside and taking a deep breath before heading on my way. If I took a deep breath every time I walked outside here, I would inhale very little fresh air and much more pollution.

7.  Having Money. Pretty self explanatory. This city makes it pretty difficult to maintain a full wallet. Between the food and drinks, I will probably be bankrupt by the time my 8 weeks are up. But I must say, it has been worth every penny.

8. Colors. I have touched on this matter before. It seems like everyone here wears only neutral colors, but then I walk in the stores they are filled with brightly colored garments. I am very confused by this. I would just like to see people wear a little more color to brighten up the streets of SoHo a bit.

9. My Car. I actually enjoy the subway because I love the people watching, but every now and then I just wish I could hop in my little Escape and scoot on over to wherever it is I want to go. I also do some of my best thinking while riding around in the car. I love to just turn up my music and drive. Public transportation is great, but for some reason they won't let me play my iPod over the speakers on the train.

10. My People. Above all else, I miss my friends and family. I have the most incredible people in my life, and I think about them all every single day.

This post may seem like one big complaint. It's not. I absolutely LOVE New York and LOVE living here. I have met amazing people, seen beautiful sights, and learned so much. This is just a post dedicated to a few of the things I love about where I am from.

Now let's just hope the rain will stay away for a while. Or at least wait until I'm finished shopping next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment