Monday, June 6, 2011

Hummingbird Heartbeat

After months of anticipation, I am finally in New York City. It's so surreal.  Last time I was here I was here with someone who was very special to me and for less than a day. This time, I am here alone with big plans to conquer the city.  I have a whole summer ahead of me. I can't believe how lucky I am!

I moved in yesterday and met all my roommates. They are great! I am very lucky in the roommate department because that is a factor that could make or break this whole experience. Last night I went out to dinner with a big group of girls from my building at this really cool diner in SoHo. I still haven't fully unpacked. I need about a thousand more hangers and every other little thing I forgot to pack/never thought of in the first place (laundry bag, forks, plates, mirror, etc), but it's a work in progress.

My first day at JLM was today! Of course I wore wedges and now have huge blisters, but that's okay. It's all apart of the experience, right? Plus, there was no way I was going to my first day at work not in heels...let's be real. I met the CEO of the company and all the people who work in the office. Everyone at work is so nice and helpful, which will definitely make for a pleasant experience. They said I would have a lot of different projects to work on while I'm there, which is exciting!

This city is definitely unlike any other. There is so much glamour and yet so much grunge. And above all...so much BLACK! Don't these people own anything with a little color? Yesterday, I wore white pants and looked like a leper. Oh well, guess I'll just have to stand out for the next 8 weeks because this girl definitely isn't wearing black everyday. Not only do New Yorkers love their black clothing, but they also love their chewing gum! What is with all the smacking? Don't they realize no one else wants to hear how good their gum is? To all you gum smackers out there...stop!

I'm already missing my family and friends, but can't wait to make some new friends while I'm here. I fully plan on holding on to this experience and savoring every moment. I really feel like a grown up, and it is so bittersweet. Hopefully this little taste of living in the city will give me a feel of whether or not this is where I want to work and live.

It's a fast paced lifestyle, but I think I can handle it.
Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment