Wednesday, June 1, 2011

And the journey begins..

First stop: Philadelphia.

Well here goes nothing...

Before I embark on my adventure to the big city, I made a pit stop in Philly. My mom found it best to save money on air fare, so I flew into Philly 5 days before I need to be in New York. I am staying with my mom's aunt and getting to spend some time with family that I rarely see.

I managed to ward off the tears while saying goodbye to my parents (even though my mom couldn't hold it together, and her glasses started to fog). Then, of course, I had a middle seat on the plane next to a large woman with dread locks down to her butt. Ideal.

After an exhausting day of flying, my aunt and I had to carry my two HUGE suitcases up the stairs. You would be surprised how much a 21-year-old fashion student can fit into two suitcases. It's pretty impressive.

Now I sit in my aunt's little one-bedroom apartment (she is so nice and let me have it to myself, and she is staying with her daughter). It's so quaint and cute. I love it. I'm already starting to feel like a city girl.

I am so fortunate to have such a loving family who will do anything for me and really help me pursue my dream. I mean, first London and now New York? I can't believe it. My family and friends are all so supportive. For example, my dad texted me today after I left. Here is what it said:
"Don't worry u can beat anybody and do anything u set ur mind to. Love u and very proud. Kick their yankee ass, go GRITS!"
...and you wonder why my blog is called GRITS in the City (Girl Raised in the South).

Speaking of this blog, dont worry, my goal is not to update this with every boring detail of every day this summer like what I had to eat for dinner (Tonight I had a buffalo chicken salad...yummy). Yes, there will be some of that, but mostly it will be my thoughts and observations as I embark on another (potentially) life changing summer adventure. So stay tuned and I will update as often as possible.

Like I said before... Here goes nothing.


No comments:

Post a Comment