Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The City That Never Sleeps

It is well-known that this city is called "the city that never sleeps." Well, that's an issue for me, because this girl does sleep. A lot.

But apparently not in this city.

For some reason, as soon as I arrived here my sleeping habits have been so strange. I don't really know why. Maybe because I'm not sleeping in my own bed and instead I am sleeping in one that resembles a hospital bed. Maybe it is just because I always feel like I have something to do instead. Or it could be the fact that this building is old and I sneeze every night due to the copious amounts of dust. But what I do know is that today I got the "Aw, you look so tired" comment from a co-worker. The "you look so tired" comment can easily be exchanged for "Man, you look like shit." So after I received the warning, I looked in the mirror in the showroom. There I was, dark circles and all. It looks like someone has punched me in both eyes. It is apparent that although this city doesn't sleep, I have to find a way to.

Maybe another reason I am so sleepy is because I work out at work. Okay, I don't reallyyyy work out, but let me tell y'all...bridal gowns are heavy. Lifting them all day gets tiring! Plus, they are all bigger than me, so that makes it difficult too. Not only am I going to come home with washboard abs from my Jillian Michaels DVD, but apparently I will be returning with the toned biceps.

The unintentional workout is only one of the many cool things I do at my work. Today I had to leave the showroom to go hunt for a dress at the factory. After I failed at finding the dress (oops..) I got to talk to Lazaro, the designer. It was just so cool. There we were, just hanging out. Me and one of the most well-known bridal designers crackin' jokes about the crazy brides who want crystals all over their gowns. It may not seem that cool to y'all...but it was amazing to me.

After this job, I will be happy if I never have to look at a map again. I am now an expert in geography. I look at maps of the states all day looking for new stores to target, etc. It is a fun project, but I won't be upset when I'm finished. I can't tell you how many times a week I catch myself singing the "Fifty Nifty United States" song I learned in the 5th grade to teach me the alphabetical order of all the states. Sometimes I catch myself singing it out loud...a tad embarrassing (especially when my boss turns the corner and sees me).

Bridal Gown Workout. Chillin with Lazaro. Singing the states. Yea, I'd say I'm enjoying my internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment