Sunday, June 19, 2011

"Marry The Night"

I cant believe I have already been here two weeks and only have 6 weeks left! It's just so crazy to me. I really feel like I have established a little life here. I have a great group of friends, a great apartment, well..dorm, and a full time job. The only up side to having only 6 weeks left here is that tomorrow marks the exact 6 week mark, so it also marks the day that I start my Jillian Michaels workout DVD. Ladies and gentleman, I will be completing the Six Pack in Six Weeks program and return to the South a changed woman. Prepare yourselves.

The other day before we fell asleep my roommate Meegan and I were watching E! News (as always), and when it was over the news came on. I don't really know what I was expecting to happen, but it took me by surprise when it was the local NYC news. It is the little things like that that really make me step back and realize I am in New York City, and I LIVE here! You would think after two weeks it would have sunk in by now, but it hasn't fully. I am still picking up on the New York culture and lifestyle. There are so many different kinds of people here and during a 5 minute walk down the block you can here 10 different languages being spoken around you.  It definitely makes for good people watching, which is a sport for me. I love it. I alway wonder where people are from and where they are going. It seems like everyone in this city has a story and I want to know them all.

Especially when people are rushing down the sidewalk in a hurry, I just want to know what is so important and where are they going that they feel the need to run over everyone on the sidewalk. This is one thing that I have figured out, and even turned in to a little game. I love playing chicken on the sidewalk. Whenever I am walking towards someone and they are walking towards me I can always tell they think I will be the one who steps to the side and let them by. Nope. Not happening. Instead I just keep walking at them until they get to the point where they have no choice but to move. There is no way I am letting this city and the people in it run over me. I'm making my own room on the NYC sidewalk.

On a different note, this weekend was great! Thursday we all just went out. Then on Friday after work we were all so exhausted, but lo and behold...we went out again. I finally got to meet up with my friend from high school, Edin. It was so nice to see a familiar face and catch up with an old friend.

Saturday during the day I went shopping for a little bit on my own and picked up a birthday present for my best friend! Im so sad Im missing her birthday, but I hope she loves her gift. Then Erin, my roommate, and I went to Central Park and just enjoyed the scenery and some more people watching. It is so beautiful there. It's like a little oasis in the concrete jungle. I love when you look up all you see is trees and grass, but then in the background you can still see the New York skyline. It is like two worlds colliding.



Last night my friend Kelley came to stay the night and we went to Spring St Lounge, our new favorite place. Mostly we just like it because a little birdy told us John Mayer hangs out there, and it is right around the corner from our room. We had another fun night out that, of course, ended up with us sitting in our dorm at 4 am, eating McDonalds, skyping Erin's mom. Just a normal evening.

We woke up this morning and went to the most beautiful rooftop brunch on 5th Avenue. It was amazing. The food was delicious, and it was like another little oasis in the city. There were flowers and ivy everywhere. Even palm trees! But just like in Central Park, you could see the skyline in the background and it makes it seem like it is two separate worlds.


I love this city more and more with everyday I am here, and I know I am going to be so sad when I leave. It is such an incredible place that you really can make whatever you want out of it. This weekend I was able to have wild nights out with my girlfriends, but then retreat to a beautiful park that made me forget I was anywhere near the hustle and bustle of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment