Wednesday, June 29, 2011

One Step Closer To Chanel No.5

My whole life I have always told my parents that when I grow up and get a real job, (which I always imagined being at a fabulous fashion magazine) I will wear red lipstick all the time and my fragrance will be Chanel No. 5.

There is just something about seeing a woman in red lipstick that is sexy, cool and sophisticated. It says to those around you "I make my own money, but I'll spend yours too." I love it. I have just never felt grown up enough to wear it. I almost wonder if I ever will. I haven't touched a tube of bright red lipstick since I was a little girl playing in my mom's makeup drawer. Even back then I was particular about my color. I would make sure it was absolutely perfect, using a Q-tip to make sure I didn't "color out of the lines."

And of course we all know the iconic Chanel No. 5. It smells like the woman I want to be. It is classic and yet fresh and new. It isn't even my favorite fragrance, but it holds a special place in my heart.

I will never feel fully adult until the day I walk out of my house smelling like Chanel with popping red lips headed to the office. Most little girls had dreams of ponies and being a ballerina. I wanted to wear perfume and lipstick in a fashion office.

Today, I felt closer to my dream than ever before.

It is the midpoint of my internship, and along with that comes midpoint evaluations. This meant getting my supervisor to fill out a form about me, discuss it with me, and then fax it to my professor.

My boss walked to my desk and told me to come on back to discuss my evaluation. I sat down across from her, nervous smile and all. She informed me that I am a wonderful worker and then she used the term "very employable." She proceeded to tell me she knows I will be successful in the future and that my southern charm is sweet and personable.

Just this simple evaluation meant so much to me. I really respect my supervisor, so her opinion is very important to me. She is only 25 years old and already worked her way towards the top of the ladder of the company. She is young, spunky, and focused. All are traits that I hope to have. After being told I had southern charm and will be successful in the industry, I couldn't help but think "should I go buy some lipstick and put Chanel on my Christmas list?"

It's a good feeling when someone tells you you're doing a good job. It's an even better feeling when you respect the person telling you. I am slowly taking steps towards my dream. First came college, then living in London, then New York, and then finally, the feeling of accomplishment in the city of New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment