Thursday, July 14, 2011

GA Peach in the Big Apple

6 weeks in and I'm still breaking down the stereotypes of the South.

What is it with these people? They think just because I am from Georgia that I can't feel the heat. I assure you, 90 degree weather is hot no matter where you are from. You would think the sweat mustache on my upper lip would have given them the hint.

Also, everyone giggles every time I say y'all! What is so funny about a contraction that makes more sense, is less sexist, and is easier to say than "you guys." Keep your giggles to yourself, New York.

I was in the elevator at work yesterday when the man who operates the elevator asked me where I was from. I responded "Atlanta" and immediately he and the other man in the elevator were arguing over wether I was a Georgia Peach or a Southern Belle. I thought Welkers liked to argue, but the citizens of New York really give us a run for our money. I must say though, I was intrigued by the argument, and in the end I informed them that I was both a belle and a peach as well as flattered by their nonsense.

This reminds me of when I was in London. On my first day, I told the women I worked with that I was from Georgia and in response they asked, "Do you live on a farm?!" I let them down by saying, "No, I'm from Atlanta. It's a pretty big city." Then, of course, they backfired with, "Oh, so you know Usher?!" Needless to say, I was speechless. After letting them down again by telling them I don't know Usher or any other rapper/singer personally, I realized I should have just played along. Yea, I'm from the ATL and Usher and I hang out all the time. Occasionally I hang out with Lil Jon too.

On the subject of the South, I found a place that sells biscuits. Yes. I repeat: I found a place that sells biscuits. Of course, it wasn't that good, but beggers can't be choosers, right? While walking with some friends we stumbled upon a new little breakfast place down the block from our apartment. I was scanning the menu trying to decide what to get, considering I don't really like breakfast food, and there it was. Just the word on the menu made me squeal! Who cares if it wasn't that good. It will hold me over until I can get back to Chick fil A.

My style is evolving to city chic, but don't worry, I still throw on my cowboy boots when wearing my all black outfits. When I do this, I always see people's eyes staring at my feet while I strut down the sidewalk, and I love every minute of it. Georgia girl is getting used to NY, but NY is trying just as hard to get used to little miss Georgia.

1 comment:

  1. Little Miss Georgia needs to come home and strut her stuff in the Atl. And I think she's actually a Georgia peaNUT!

    ReplyDelete